“American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful, and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it.”
– James Baldwin
“In the course of American history, great steps are taken by ordinary people, and ordinary people are not perfect.”
– Tommy Lee Jones
“We are not makers of History. We are made by History.”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
U.S. History II begins where U.S. History I (usually 8th Grade) should have left off – with the end of the American Civil War and Reconstruction. Thus, this year-long class for Juniors will study the rise of the United States as a Global Superpower, from the Turn of the Century and Industrial Revolution, through World War I, the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, and the Modern War on Terrorism, stretching into Iraq, Afghanistan, and President Biden.
Of the many lessons that Cadets should glean from this course, foremost is this – We live in a global world, and the conflicts of their generation tie directly to those of the previous ones.
The Course is divided into the following units:
– Review / Themes of History
– Unit 1 – Westward Ho! / Industrial Revolution / Spanish American War
– Unit 2 – Progressive Reforms / WWI
– Unit 3 – Roaring Twenties / Great Depression
– Unit 4 – Rise of Dictators / WWII
– Unit 5 – Cold War / Civil Rights Era / Korea & Vietnam
– Unit 6 – 9/11 / War on Terror / Iraq, Afghanistan, and Beyond
– Final Projects
A few key reminders:
- CLICK HERE FOR ZOOM LINK FOR LIVE-STREAM CLASSES
- A recording for the beginning of each class (TO INCLUDE THE JOURNAL QUESTION) will be posted.
That recording WILL include entire lectures, activities, or projects, but NOT quizzes, tests, etc.
- While lectures will be recorded and streamed, the PPT and PDF versions of each PPT is also available on the schedule.
- Direct any questions to CPT Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org
IF YOU NEED ACCESS TO FIRST SEMESTER (1st & 2nd Term, CLICK HERE)
U.S. History II (B1, B2, B4, B5) – B Day Schedule – 2020-2021 (2nd Semester)
SPRING 2022 (Terms 3 & 4) B Day Schedule*
Friday , Jan 21 – Complete Assignments from Tues / Thur! (Adjusted due to Virtual Learning)
Thursday, Jan 27 – WWII Scavenger Hunt (DUE Feb 3)
Tuesday, Feb 1 – NOTES – Day 4 – War in the Pacific
Friday, Feb 4 – Atomic Bomb Discussion (To Bomb or not to Bomb?)
Tuesday, Feb 22 – Space Race Activity
Friday, Mar 4 – Propaganda Cartoons
Thursday, Mar 17 – Jeopardy
End Term 3 (21 days)
Thursday, Mar 24 – ACT Testing Day – JUNIORS ONLY AT SCHOOL FOR TESTING
Spring Break Apr 4-8
Tuesday, Apr 26 – Jeopardy
Thursday, May 26 – No Classes (End of Year Assembly)
Friday, May 27 – Graduation / Last Day of School
End Term 4 / Semester 2 (21 days)
*SUBJECT TO CHANGE (Changes will be updated weekly on class website and Canvas)
Direct any questions to CPT Curtis at email@example.com